Monday, May 24, 2010

Lights! Camera! and don't forget the red carpets!!

Hi all,

We had a wonderful weekend in Hollywood.   Really, what a special time.  

I gave a talk on Sunday at lunchtime about the work in Pestel that is underway, and the talk was well-received.  I also showed the "After the Earthquake" video and this proved to be really powerful.  

The purpose of the talk was actually several-fold, as I came to understand it.   It was an opportunity to talk about the needs of Pestel and the exciting work that they are supporting.  It was also an 'inaugural' presentation for a new global health program that Variety International is developing!  They wanted to showcase our collaboration to the members as a way to highlight the importance of this kind work around the world, and also to generate enthusiasm (and donations!).

Several of the Variety Intl chapters (called "Tents") gave specifically to the Haiti project!   And an excellent number gave commitments to support the new global health effort!!!   I think the VI board and those who are working on this committee were pleased.  

They also announced that Monty Hall would be joining the committee that is developing the initiative!   I think this is really helpful because he brings visibility to the effort.

We also learned another REALLY important thing at the lunch:  it was announced just prior to the fund-raising effort that there were a number of individuals (in the board meeting earlier in the week) who had seen the video and were shocked to see the brown-murky water that the people of one village use.   They have committed to develop a solution for that village to improve their water!!!   This will tie-in with the meeting I will have with Water Missions International--a connection made at this meeting.  


The black-tie event was a lot of fun!   When we walked up to the reception area there were photographers and videographers and a red carpet.  They didn't seem to be focusing their lenses on us, for some odd reason.  

We had to leave early and Simon Cowell showed up after we left to receive a Humanitarian Award (for Idol Gives Back.  He has actually been involved in a number of really important efforts.  He also put together a charity song with artists, "Everybody Hurts" to benefit the people of Haiti).  I did see Sarah Ferguson, Dutchess of York.  Actually, I almost ran into her (literally) because I was busy talking with someone, and while we were talking and walking she was ushered in.  The person I was talking to had to hold me back and get my attention.  

About the black-tie event:  it was quite a show!   Lights and BIG screens and music etc.   At one point Julia Morley, president of VI and Chairman of the Miss World Organization, spent a few minutes describing my work in Haiti.  She then introduced me and they directed a spotlight on me.  I stood and waved, and then saw my face on the big screens.   

Yikes!

The weekend was a lot of fun, but we are VERY tired.  Flew in this morning to Harrisburg around 10am after an overnight flight.  Then off to see patients this afternoon.    

We're glad to be home with our kids!

Thank you for praying about this weekend.  I am so thankful for your words of encouragement.  So many people at the conference came up to me and expressed gratitude for the work being done in Pestel.  

Let's see---where do we go from here?  Hollywood....then...Haiti!
Could we get any more of a contrast?


Ben  


No comments: