- January--Purchased 6 motor cycles for the field health workers. Reports from our last Vitamin A campaign showed that their effectiveness increased by at least 30%
- March--Miss World Team & Variety International traveled to Pestel & produced a moving video of their experiences. We stay at the new Guest House in Ferier with Sisters Fidelis, Jo and Vicky!
- April--Well-drilling effort undertaken but unsuccessful. Water Missions International begins Plan B approach.
- May--Variety International pledged to increase their annual commitment to bring the 19 field health workers back up to full time status!!
- June--Thriving Villages gets a new website thanks to the hard work of individuals at Deloitte! Thanks especially to Sheldon who continues to maintain it!!
- August--Field health workers begin widespread immunization effort throughout all of Pestel for the first time! Kids in Pestel are still dying from preventable diseases like tetanus, but we are now addressing this.
- September--Miss World Team has raised substantial funds to help kick-off a 'pilot' project in Duchity (southern aspect of Pestel region) in conjunction with John Ball's team!! Efforts to begin in full force in January. Effort aims to reach 2000 households with an entrepreneurial-based approach to providing household ceramic water filters.
- November--Miss World Team revisits Haiti but an accident requires an emergency medical air evacuation for one team member and an in-country surgery for one boy. Both are recovering slowly.
- December--wouldn't it be great to add a line to this list about raising funds to help complete a high school?!? :)
Friday, December 13, 2013
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Thursday, November 7, 2013
Monday, November 4, 2013
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Thursday, September 26, 2013
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Sunday, June 30, 2013
Friday, June 21, 2013
Enjoy the article!
Friday, May 3, 2013
Thursday, April 4, 2013
Hi Dr Ben,
We yesterday went to Lafievre to drill. We didn't find water there. The machine went 200 feet and found a cave. They will now go to Trouin to drill.
The water we found Tuesday is salty.
Let's pray and hope to find water in Trouin today.
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Saturday, March 16, 2013
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Monday, March 11, 2013
Friday, March 8, 2013
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Monday, February 25, 2013
Sunday, February 24, 2013
- IN FERRIER, OUR VILLAGE, THE WIDOWED WERE ESPECIALLY HARD HIT. MR. SAINT JOHN, A (VERY SWEET) ELDERLY GENTLEMAN FROM OUR CHURCH, HAD SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE TO BOTH THE WALLS AND ROOF OF HIS HOUSE. HE IS ALONE AND HAS NO ONE TO HELP HIM. A MONTH AGO HE ALMOST FAINTED IN CHURCH. WE FOUND OUT HE WAS SUBSISTING ON BREAD AND SUGAR WATER. WE NOW GIVE HIM FOOD WEEKLY.
- Michlen and her children smiling because of the news that we would help her.
Saturday, February 23, 2013
Congratulations to Sisters of St. Francis in Sylvania OH for grant to purchase water purification units for Haiti!
- People walk on average 2 hours to obtain water
- Most collect water in buckets
- There are no wells
- Diarrhea is a huge problem as a result of poor water and sanitation. Many children are dying needlessly every year for lack of clean water.
- teaching English,
- helping with the newly opened visitor's house,
- helping with a lot of the organization/administrative work.
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Hi Ben - Hope this finds you well. Just back from Haiti for a week. We were there for two weeks this time and one of those weeks was spent with a team of 23 in the mountains of Pestel. Wanted to give you a quick update.
We were able to deliver the gravity fed water filtration systems to Macochon. It was quite the experience and the village has really taken responsibility and ownership of the project. They managed to work on the road so we could drive the bucket systems all the way into the brush arbor in the village. They also completed the census and marked each home with a family number. In addition, they put together a leadership team from the village that helped us train the families on assembly, maintenance and care of the units. We feel, all together a very successful time. Please see the short video that we put together for this at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZQM_8WMHQQ
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Saturday, February 9, 2013