Friday, May 21, 2010

Update from Pestel....and Hollywood

Hard to get much different than Pestel and Hollywood.   
Jen and I are in Hollywood, and we're excited about the Variety International meeting that we'll be participating in this weekend!!   

I just got this email from Sister Fidelis, which is a VERY encouraging word:

Here arethe numbers of localities served and children seen up to and including May 19. Gerald, bless his heart, called each team between Wednesday night and Thursday morning for the latest. This is from March to the present.
 
1st section          35 (out of 43 villages)          1,927 children
2nd section         33  (of 41)                         1,952 children
3rd section          19 (of 24)                          1,126
4th section         27  (of 34)                          1,480
5th section         28  (of 30)                          2,054
6th section         15  (of 17)                          1,280
 
Totals                157 localities visited              9,816 children seen
 
 
I am impressed. You are to be commended for putting this program together so well, and training the workers so thoroughly. Bravo!
Gerald also tells me that people continue to come back to thank them for this service. They are very appreciative of the program because they see such good results. Even other sections outside our commune have asked us to come to them. Gerald told them we could not, but invited them to come to one of our villages which they did. Palmis in Baradere came to Toma Eli recently.
One of the reasons it is so popular, accesssible actually, is that there are no shots, and the med and Vitamin is tasty. Kids and  don't oppose it.
Many blessings on your meeting with the board and your presentation Sunday.



On another note:   I have been very overwhelmed lately by the amount of work related to this upcoming Haiti trip, the many other responsibilities related to my work at the medical center (which all seemed to come out at the same time...literally).     Some of the electronic issues related to taking the household survey using a PDA have been great sources of frustration and nail-biting.   But some of the key elements are coming together at this point.

I really want to thank my wife Jen, my friend Jon Eager who will be going down with me, my friend Dennis who prayed for me last night when he saw I was discouraged, my in-laws for watching our kids this weekend, and all who have helped out and prayed to make this work.   

It is a great relief to me to know that people are praying specifically for me and for the work going forward in Pestel.

Ben


No comments: