Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Transportation and Pestel

All four of us can attest to the very long and back-breaking trip from PAP to Pestel.  I've been trumpeting this for years:  we need a better way.  By sea or by air--I'm not so picky anymore!

There are two main barriers to bringing people out to Pestel, and they have been evident from Day 1.  The first is the issue of transportation.  It's fraught with problems (just ask my brother-in-law Jon Anderson and my good friend Jon Eager).

Wow--I just realized.  Of all the people who have come out with me, the majority are named John, Jon or Johnny.

Anyway:  I've gone by plane and then by boat; by plane and then by truck.  And now just by truck.  They all frankly carry their own hazards.  In short, I would not bring my kids out to Pestel.

There is also no way to evacuate quickly if the need arises.  Consider medical or surgical emergencies.  Jen and I wrote up a document that we are providing to folks who are planning on going out to Pestel, and the document includes a warning about this issue.

I have been praying about this since 2007.  It is no trifling matter and it is a wall that must come down.  I am convinced that it will, but despite looking into a host of solutions there have been no open doors.


This past Sunday morning we may have found that open door.

I was invited out to the kitchen by my host, Esai (Nakeysha's father).  He wanted to introduce me to a Haitian man who represented an organization that is looking to establish itself in Haiti.  Esai is about to finish off the 2nd floor of his house with guest rooms.  The man had somehow found out about it and wanted to look at it to see if he could sign a year-long contract to rent the space.  

The organization needs suitable housing near the airport (and Esai's house is within walking distance of the airport) BECAUSE the organization is a helicopter transportation organization.

No kidding.   Esai knows how difficult it is for me to get out to Pestel, and how absolutely exhausted I usually am when I return.  He and his family treat me so well, it's humbling.  They are genuinely gracious people.

Esai introduced me to this man and explained that I have been looking for a way to get out to Pestel.  The man indicated that it would be no problem for the helicopter to fly me out to Pestel.

The trip could be done within about 30 minutes.

I nearly kissed and hugged the guy!!

The helicopter organization is designed for medical evacuations (!!!!!) and also to transport medical teams to various places around the country (!!!).  It is a German-owned group.   They have 2 helicopters in country currently and are looking at sending 8 more over soon.   They believe they can compete with some of the small airline carriers (Tortug Air).

I don't have a price just yet, and I'm waiting to hear by email.  But I gotta tell you:  I could not be more optimistic and thrilled.   The emergency evacuation part ALONE is such a tremendous relief.  

This literally fell into my lap.
As many of you have seen over the past years of my involvement in Haiti, this is how God has found it best to work.  It has not relied on my own doing, and I am certain this is to show us all that it is not by my strivings but by His actions.  He shows Himself through these circumstances and happenings.  

We are called to be obedient and faithful.  He will always be Good.

Ben
-- 

No comments: