Thursday, March 17, 2011

More updates

Hi everyone,


When I was in Haiti Dr. Seneque mentioned the need for propane tanks in order to start up the immunization program.  The next day I received an email that money had been donated for this purpose.  I was able to tell Dr. Seneque, and he was very happy about it.  These are the sorts of messages that reinforce what I've been telling folks in Pestel:  that God moves in people's hearts on their behalf.



Things to pray for:

Be praying for those who went on the trip as we transition back to the US, and try to take in all the information.

Jen and I sat down tonight to work through nitty gritty of the upcoming Anemia Campaign.  Holy smoke, it is COMPLICATED.   I thought the Vitamin A campaign was hard....This is going to take a lot of attention to detail, and it needs to be done right and done well.

Housing in Pestel.   There is essentially no good housing in the town of Pestel.  This was a great source of stress for all of us last week.  We are praying about the possibility of building a guest house in town.  That is no small matter, as you can imagine.  And I know absolutely Zilch about construction and building....I most certainly did NOT get my dad's genes on this one.

CharRocket stove.   Johnny put a tremendous amount of effort into building the stove and doing the demonstrations.  We are both eager to see how the Haitians take it and innovate further on it.  We are hopeful that we can attract donors through a nearby organization that does microfinance to help develop this further.  The goal would be to produce these locally in Pestel.

Nutrition.   I received an email from Vitamin Angels that they are seriously considering adding micronutrients to the items they provide!  This is EXACTLY where the Anemia campaign is going!  They are considering starting in Haiti, so I gave them an update and asked them to keep me in mind.  The timing of this could be really impeccable.  :)

Water.   Dr. John Lane provided me with some of the best news of the trip:   there is water under them hills!   He has a high degree of confidence that drilling for wells would be successful.  The big challenge is in 1. funding for the drilling   and 2. getting the rig out to Pestel.     A number of strategically placed wells would be life-changers for the entire area!

Ben

No comments: