Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti earthquake

We have not yet been able to get in contact with anyone directly in Haiti.  It appears the phone lines are down.   

I learned from my friend Vanessa Carpenter (Angel Missions Haiti) that two orphanages I am connected with, St. Joseph's Home for Boys and Wings of Hope, both suffered significant damage.   She heard that St. Joe's may have collapsed.  Some of the boys were initially trapped, but I believe they all made it out safe.  One of the directors, Bill (who is a wonderful young man--he grew up in St. Joe's) was trapped on a top level and had to jump down a couple of flights onto another roof.

Wings of Hope is an orphanage for mentally and physically handicapped children.  All the children and staff are safe, but the building suffered structural damage.  All 46 of them are crowded into a dining hall on the first floor.

We have not been able to get through to Sister Fidelis and Sister Jo, Anderson, Nakesha's family...


There are great needs right now, as you've all seen on the TV/internet.  
There will be great needs in the weeks and months to come.

It will not be easy to get food and water to Wings of Hope, for example. How long can they house everyone in that small space before they venture back into the main part of the house (how do they know if it's structurally sound?).
And St. Joseph's Home--same kinds of issues.  Those are just two areas of need that I know of, and I'm certain more will come.

The needs of Haiti have been overwhelming for quite some time, well before the earthquake.  Now the needs are both dire and overwhelming.

But we must do well with what God places in our hands.   I remember looking over Port-au-Prince on my first trip, baffled at how many greatly poor people lived within my line of sight, wondering how it is possible that God can have a love for each and every one of them...it showed me how finite and small I am.

It also showed me that I am not called to 'heal Haiti' of its woes, but rather to seek to meet the needs of those with whom God places me in contact.  These are individuals....families...villages...orphanages....all with names that I know and that you have come to know through videos and photos.

I will let you know as I learn of things.

In the meantime, if you are compelled to give you may consider something along these lines:

Red Cross--they will be an excellent resource to provide immediate relief operations.  They are a big organization that can leverage the donations in ways few others can.   

And in the weeks to come, also consider:
Hearts With Haiti--this is the organization that has developed St. Joseph's home and Wings of Hope.  They will need NEW resources to rebuild.  There would be little of the donation lost to overhead because the funds will go directly to the people in need 
Angel Missions Haiti--Vanessa's organization that seeks to meet the medical/surgical needs of people in PAP.  Dollars will hit the ground running in a couple of weeks.
Beyond Borders--another wonderful organization that I've been in contact with.  They've helped folks in Pestel in the past, and they are deeply committed to the long-haul approach to helping.


And pray.   I think we have a tendency to try to control, often things that are far outside of our control.   It may make us uncomfortable not to be able to DO anything.  And as important as money is (I am trying to say this carefully) because it is very important...it is more important to allow ourselves to be deeply affected by this.  As we realize our weakness and inability we turn to God who is able to accomplish the impossible.   We can then respond in faith.
Giving without prayer and 'suffering with' may be the wrong first step, for ourselves and for them.


Thank you for your emails.   I will keep you posted.
And please let me know if you've learned of anything important as well.

Ben

No comments: