Saturday, January 16, 2010

Further details

Here are some notes from Sister Fidelis who is out in Pestel:

The people in Pestel are still in shock.  Many still do not know the status of relatives living in PAP.  Almost everyone in Pestel has relatives in PAP, and many have sent children there.  One of the boat captains (a fellow whose boat I used in the past) went from Pestel to PAP today to pick up people and bring them back to Pestel.  
There is not much fuel in Pestel at this point.  It was being sold in PAP for about $12.50 per gallon.  
A few houses in the mountain villages were damaged in the quake.  There were actually tremors reported throughout the area back in November.
Father Parnell (one of two priests in Pestel) said that just after the earthquake the sea receded from the wharf in Pestel so that people could walk on dry land.  As far as I know, the wharf always has several feet of water, so I should think that would have seemed ominous.
Prayer services are being held frequently at the church, and the attendance is large.  She asks that we continue to pray for them, and I told her that we would.


From Anderson:
He was in PAP at the time of the earthquake at a friend's house.  "I knew what it was (so I wasn't scared at first) but didn't know it was that big.  It was a BIG one!"  
His friends and family are all safe.  His house in PAP sustained some damage, but not bad.   He is planning to stay out in the countryside for some time where it is relatively safe, and they have access to food.
He had contacted Dany & Esaia--their family is safe.  
Alix, the guy I use as a translator, is safe.
We all believe Nelson is safe because he was out in Pestel.

HIS Home for Children is an orphanage that I've visited a couple of times.  Chris and Hal (wonderful people!) are fine and I believe all the children are fine, but their orphanage sustained damages.  
I sent a photo of St. Joseph's Home for Boys.  All those boys and their leaders are now up at another orphanage--Wings of Hope.   Wings of Hope also sustained significant damages, and from the description and the photos, a huge part of the house is in jeopardy.  


I've encouraged Anderson and Sister Fidelis to stay put, given how things are developing.  They are both aware that the prison was affected so that about 4000 prisoners are now out in the city.  Fidelis mentioned that some of the prisoners will be political prisoners, but certainly the others could make a difficult situation even worse.   I think they are both planning to stay where they are, which is a VERY good idea.

Pestel will likely see an influx of people, and perhaps especially kids.  

At this point they want me to continue with the plans for medications and household surveys.  And at this point I am still planning to return to Haiti in early March.  The main question is whether I will be able to fly out to Jeremie or not, but we'll just take it as it comes.

Ben

No comments: