Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tropical storm update

The tropical storm has turned into a hurricane.  
It was projected to drive straight over Haiti, but now it appears to have moved slightly to the north so that it is still going to affect Haiti, but not a direct hit on most of it.  


I remember one of the hurricanes last year...Gustav I think it was...that was making a bee-line for Haiti, and most specifically Pestel.   This was just when I was planning to travel to Pestel and had to cancel the trip.  
We had prayed about the hurricane also and we saw it take a sudden westward (leftward) shift out to sea in the hours before it was to pass over the area of Pestel.  

There was still significant crop and land damage throughout Pestel, but the reported loss of life was related to individuals who tried to cross a swollen, flooded-out road.  

I think we should marvel at these sorts of answers to prayer.  I'd be tempted to think it was such good luck, if I didn't see that God answer prayers in a multitude of ways.  

Prayer is not magic, though.  Prayer is aligning our hearts' desires with God's heart, our will with His.  Prayer is an appeal and a confession and a praise.  As Christ said when the worst of the "hurricanes" was rushing at his very life:  Not my will but Thine be done.

I don't think prayer is resignation, in the sense of 'giving up' or a sense of fatalism.  It is often instead a rest, and one that sometimes takes a good bit of energy on our part as we bring under discipline that which hinders us from resting in God.


Please pray for my mom.  She is in the hospital right now for an infection.  Many of you know that she just completed her chemotherapy, and while that was really hard on her body, we are so thankful that she's reached the end of it.  But it's been a very long season for her and for my dad.  
Ben

No comments: