Saturday, June 30, 2012

Anyone looking for some data to enter??

In our area it's been quite hot these days and it's hard to do something outdoors...Maybe you've had that experience?

:)

Well do I have just the thing to pass those Air Conditioned days away for you:   data entry!    It's easy, you can do it while watching the news or listening to a book on CD or listening to music.  As I was organizing papers related to Haiti I came across a big stack of data that still needs to be entered.      This one goes pretty fast.  I'm attaching the sample spreadsheet.  There are only 10 items to fill in.

Right now I'm learning to use some statistical software and just to prove how valuable data entry is I've included a couple of charts from the 2010 Household Survey that many of you helped enter.  

The first bar graph shows the # of households in each of the sections that responded YES to the question of whether they gave up a child for service (or "restavec")  I see this as a major finding that confirms what we already know:  families are so poor that they are willing to send their children away for the hope of a better life in the city.  Sadly, many of these children end up in a form of slavery.  




This question asked, "In the past month did anyone in your family go without food because of lack of food?"   If they answered yes, then a follow up question was asked to learn about how often this occurred:



I hope you can get a quick sense of how important this data is.  It represents families and kids.  Proper analysis can help us make the case that these people are truly in great need.

If interested in helping with data entry, please email me and I'll send you instructions.

Many thanks!
Ben


--
President, Thriving Villages International

Thriving Villages website

Thriving Villages blog
http://thrivingvillages.blogspot.com/


No comments: