Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Updates (February 2012)

Hi all,

I got a lot of enthusiastic responses back about the guest house being built on Sister Fidelis  & Jo's property in Pestel (village of Ferye)!   I'll be eager to see it in person.

My next trip to Haiti will be at the end of May.  Right now the APPAS (health) workers are involved in the Anemia Campaign.  We were able to promote several of them to Community Health Worker II status (which is our own designation, but provides them with a bit more pay and responsibility to help with training of new workers).  

Over the past month or so a coalition of groups/individuals went out to Pestel in response to an emergency appeal regarding cholera.  This was quite an impressive response and we're incredibly grateful for the heart and dedication of so many!  You can read more about it a couple of places:




The long-term solution to cholera is Clean Water and good sanitary practices.  And to that end we're developing a Water Plus+ plan, as I've mentioned previously, to provide wells throughout Pestel.  My hope is that if my sabbatical proposal is approved (I should hear back in March) I will be able to spend a good amount of time putting this huge project into gear.  

And finally, how about this ends with a photo of Sister Jo with a couple of cute kids!   Thanks as always to Steve Miller for his wonderful photos!! (http://stevemillerphotography.blogspot.com/

Ben






 


--
Thriving Villages website

Thriving Villages blog
http://thrivingvillages.blogspot.com/


No comments: