Thursday, February 17, 2011

Update on Heifer

Hi all,

I got off the phone with Anna from Heifer International.  I'm quite excited about where this will be going.  And I think she sees some really good potential here as well.

In short, they have agreed to a pilot project in Pestel on the order of 16 months.  The project would include 400 beneficiaries with a focus on improving nutrition through agricultural production!!  Livestock, gardening....maybe goat cheese production!  

This will be a really neat experience, in my estimation, because they are eager to see efforts overlap with ours.  We will do training in key nutritional topics (as we did in 2010, but we'll expand them over the next year), and there is likely to be opportunity to co-develop training materials for example, to help ensure that we're on the same page.

I also think there will be need to install more Chateaux Deaus or cisterns in key locations where Heifer is working in order to help ensure that the livestock have enough water....

I am hoping to meet again with one of the in-country reps on my next trip to Haiti.  Johnny and Steve will be with me for that visit in Les Cayes as well.

:)

No comments: