Monday, December 13, 2010

December updates

Merry Christmas everyone!


My next trip to Haiti is scheduled for January 13-16th when I will meet with Dr. Seneque in Port-au-Prince to talk about 2010 as well as to make sure we're on the same page for 2011.  For the first time I'll also be meeting with Dr. John Leininger with whom I have communicated plenty in the past several years!  Dr. Leininger is the man who introduced me to the Chateaux Deaus!  And he helps to arrange their installation in Pestel.  

Patient persistence.  The Chair of my department likes that phrase.  Through patient persistence I am seeing God moving in people's hearts to join in the effort.  This is really good stuff!


We're selling calendars!  Each calendar supports the effort to provide medications to 5 children.  Thanks to Dr. Linda Chambers for her great work on this!  

My friend Stephen Sands is working on developing a website to allow people to give to this work.  If you have ideas or suggestions on how to improve the site (which is in its infancy) please feel free to pass them along!   I'll send the link along in a bit.
Haiti Medical

A few very somber notes:

  • Cholera has struck Pestel.  Dr. Seneque is seeing a lot of cholera.  
  • Violence has mixed with protests in the streets of PAP after the recent Haitian elections.  In short, there are allegations of fraud, and the US has issued a cautious statement suggesting that the will of the Haitian people may have been thwarted.  
  • Sarah Palin and her husband are in Haiti right now with Franklin Graham.  This is not a good time to be in Haiti, frankly.  The airport was shut down on Friday due to concerns over violence.  Please pray for their safety, and that they would use their status to highlight the great needs of the Haitian people.  


On quite a different note:   I was able to contact an organization in PAP that flies helicopters.
I've asked them if they'd consider flying me out to Pestel directly from PAP.   :)    We shall see.   That'd be a pretty cool option, don't you think?

And we are still waiting for word from Heifer International about their possible involvement in Pestel.  


No comments: