Monday, November 8, 2010

Pestel and the hurricane

Hello everyone,

For those who are relatively new to these emails, we welcome you and want you to know that while I have sent out requests at various times for specific funding opportunities, I don't think I've ever gone so far as to put out the appeal I am about to make.


The lives of the Haitian people in Pestel were thankfully spared from Hurricane Tomas, as you know.  However, early reports about the agricultural devastation up in the mountains are being confirmed.  I read a disaster report today.  In the report helicopters flew across the southern aspect of Haiti.  Only four areas were cited as suffering substantial damage and Pestel was one of those four.  Fruit trees have been ruined, the land has been torn up in places, and many farmers/peasants lost livestock.   Those who live day-to-day will undoubtedly struggle in the upcoming days.

We know Pestel.  We have followed along from a far, and some of us have walked the mountains and into the villages of Pestel.  This is our time to act--it is a call to action.  We will raise the flag to make sure that Pestel's plight is noticed, and we will contribute to helping them in their time of considerable need.

The situation was difficult prior to the hurricane, a poverty-laden land that had to somehow absorb the influx of families after the earthquake.  You've seen in the videos how people have taken in their siblings with children.  

I would ask that, despite our tendency, we might be sensitized to the needs during this specific time.

This is an email I just received from Dr. Seneque.  He is the only Haitian physician who lives and works among the people of Pestel.  
He is responding to my email from earlier today:

Bonjour!
            I'am very glad to see, how you carry Pestel in your heart. This site was hit hard as you said, during the storm. Some localities, like 5th, 4th,3th sections have been damaged badly. The peasants loosed everything( plantations and all). So, we can feel the food emergency, coming up. If you can do something, this is the real moment to help. We can contact the mayor and many churches to see how to do it.


As I consider the situation, one disaster was averted as the hurricane diminished and was moved to the west.  That was clear evidence of God's hands over the storm.  Now I make this appeal as a prayer that God's hands would move in the hearts of His people to avert another crisis:  that of starvation and suffering.

I do not want to send any sense of guilt or manipulation in this email.  Rather, I see it as my responsibility to act on their behalf, and this is a specific moment of very great need.    


I do not have expertise to 'manage' a disaster, so I will seek advice.  Please let me know if you have interest in helping somehow with this effort.

We need people to pray that organizations capable of providing food, of helping to replace livestock and of rebuilding the farmers' lives would respond to the needs of the people in Pestel.    

Here is an opportunity to give financially.  You can give through Slate Hill Mennonite Church.  You can give online:
(Scroll down along the right side:  Donate button)


I have asked Dr. Seneque to learn about the needs in the mountains.  I will forward that to you once I learn.


Are any willing to contact organizations to see if the organization would consider working in Pestel?
Heiffer International
World Vision
Feed the Children
Mennonite Central Committee

All of those are working in Haiti already. The possess expertise to help the villages regain their baseline and move well beyond it.


Ben


No comments: