Saturday, August 7, 2010

August Haiti Updates

Hi all,

Is summer flying super-fast for everyone else, of just me?   I've really enjoyed this summer--spending it with Jen and the kids, and slowing down.   Humans are not meant to go for 7 days a week, every week, for prolonged periods of time.  I kind of forgot that  :)

A couple of neat things:
1.  Over 9000 child forms have been entered into the database.  I'll have another 1000 or so coming fairly soon.  One of my friends, Odelin Francois (who runs a school in Pestel), will be bringing them back for me since he was just in Pestel.  Odelin lives in NYC, and his family is from Pestel.  

2.  I met with a wonderful guy named Frank from the large engineering firm in Harrisburg.  I believe he said that his organization is in the top 50 nation-wide in terms of size.  They build BIG things.  They are very interested in doing some humanitarian work in Haiti.  And Frank has excellent contacts in Haiti.  I'll meet with him again on Monday.  

3.  I was able to get in touch with folks who are coordinating the Nutrition Cluster for Haiti.  They put me in contact with a person from UNICEF who is in charge of coordinating nation-wide Child Campaigns for Haiti.   Hopefully more to report.

4.  I've been asked to participate in a panel discussion on Haiti at Messiah College, my alma mater.  Messiah 1st year students will all be reading the story, Mountains Beyond Mountains, which is about Dr. Paul Farmer and his tireless work in Haiti.  They're asking me to talk to about 700 students/faculty about the medical aspects in Haiti.  A great honor.  And this opportunity is directly from my in-laws, and several people at my church who are faculty as Messiah.  Thanks!!!


There is a great hymn that says, "Prone to wander Lord I feel it, prone to leave the GodI love"
 I struggle with the issue of self-sufficiency, and of seeking human solutions and human wisdom.   Please pray that I would seek God's wisdom, His ways--in the nitty gritty detail work as well as in the big scheme ideas.

The whole verse to that hymn:
O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.


No comments: