Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pestel updates

Hi all,

A few bits of information:

I started to analyze the data from Section 6, the island.  So far the stats are staggering:
25% of kids under 5 with moderate-severe malnutrition.  That's 1 in every 4 kids.  And another 20% with mild malnutrition.
About 90% of kids surveyed had anemia.  The workers tested every 10th kid.   So if there are about 1500 kids on the island then about 1300-1400 of them will have anemia.  And again, many of them are severe.  I'll try to send a graph so you can see what I'm talking about.   Long-story-short:  this is going to be a priority area for 2011.

I received an email today from Dr. Seneque.  They finished up the Child Health Campaign, distributing medications to 12,000 kids between mid-March and June!!   Also, and quite amazingly, he said that the PDA's seemed to be working.  I'm really surprised.  Honestly.  If the workers are successful with the PDAs it is because of their persistence and ingenuity.  

Through friends I was given the contact information for the manager of a very large engineering company that has expressed interest in doing some work in Haiti.  I spoke with the manager of their international operations and he's interested in talking a bit more about.  I don't know where this will go, and it may yield benefit to some other area in Pestel, but either way it is worth praying about--that God would move their hearts to commit to a course of action in Haiti.  This would be a charitable work, I believe.  And they are capable of very large scale engineering feats.

Finally, check out this link....About 1/3 the way down or so you'll see an article about the work being done in Pestel, sponsored in large part by Variety International.
They are planning to do an entire newsletter about the Pestel project!!  This is fantastic visibility and a who-knows-what-will-come opportunity.
And I can't remember who the ladies are with whom I'm in the picture.   So many people asking to take my photo with them!!
Actually, that really did tickle my fancy.  I was quite incredulous:  "YOU want to take a photo with me?!?"  Why spoil a really nice photo!

No comments: