Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Goodness and mercy

Hi everyone,

I know this is a busy time of the year so perhaps you'll get a chance to breeze through this email later. I wanted to end the year's emails with a few really wonderful updates regarding Haiti and the work that I've seen God doing lately.

You know about the $15,000 grant that the development group (KPA) in Pestel received to help build a clinic in the village of Abriko...and perhaps you know about the way my church is collecting donations for Pestel for Christmas Giving this year....and you may also know that we were able to send a $3000 donation (from folks like yourself!!!!) to be used for specific needs in Pestel (such as building 40 school benches in one village, putting up two new cisterns, helping to provide education for one family whose father is now disabled after a fuel-fire earlier this year...

There is more good news I want to share!

Odelin Francois recently held his annual gala in NYC to raise money to support an entire school of children in Pestel!

Some of you will recall reading emails about a little Haitian boy with special medical needs who was in need of an adoptive family--God has provided that family through a rather remarkable series of events! In short, I went to school in NH with the woman whose family will be adopting this boy! I hadn't had any contact until she 'happened' upon my blog when she was searching for Haiti-related news. She and her husband were already interested in adopting a child from Haiti....Now THAT'S awesome.

Wings of Hope, one of the orphanages I help with in PAP, recently received a large shipment of free meds from a generous organization in Canada. This includes a year's supply of anti-seizure meds so that the orphanage can use their funds for other essential purposes!


2008 has been a mind-blowing year for me. It was barely over 1 year ago when I took my first trip to Haiti. This past week alone I received two offers at my work to provide financial support to help me build the Global Health activities at my medical school.

The connection between my work at Hershey and that which is beginning in Haiti is remarkable, exciting, and gives me plenty of reason to write about how I see God doing amazing things today.

Ben

--
My Blog
http://haitimedical.blogspot.com/

No comments: